If you have recently purchased a new car, you may find the car dealer recommends you getting your car service done through the dealership. Many new car dealers imply that you need to have your new car serviced at an authorised dealer to keep your manufacturers warranty. However while a car manufacturer can have certain requirements in its warranty terms, it cannot specify that you service your car through an authorised dealer to keep your warranty valid!
Independent mechanic versus a dealership
In most cases, you will find that a car service will cost a lot more at a dealership than at an independent mechanic shop such as Cairns Auto Worx. While you have the right to select your own reputable, independent mechanic, the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) have advised that your car warranty will not be void as long as the following 3 conditions are met:
- You use a qualified mechanic to perform the auto service.
- The car service is performed according to the manufacturers specifications.
- The appropriate parts are used for your vehicle repairs.
According to the ACCC , “Provided you service the vehicle in accordance with any such requirements, the warranty will remain valid. If the manufacturer’s warranty states that the vehicle can only be serviced by an authorised dealer, this may raise concerns under the Competition and Consumer Act,” The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 prevents a car manufacturer from specifying that you have to get your car serviced by a particular dealer as part of the warranty conditions. In addition, a car manufacturer cannot void a warranty just because you have chosen to have your car serviced elsewhere.
Cairns Auto Worx
At Cairns Auto Worx, you can have peace of mind knowing that all your auto service and repairs are performed by qualified mechanics. In fact, we take pride in providing one of the best log book services around Cairns.
- Our car services are performed strictly according to the manufacturers specifications and recommendations to ensure that your new car warranty remains valid!
- Our mechanics are all fully qualified and trained in servicing all car makes and models.
- We always use top quality parts for our vehicle repairs.
If you are unsure about your warranty or log book service, don’t hesitate to contact us or make an appointment to come into our workshop. Contact us today at Cairns Auto Worx on ph 0415 690 566.
Book your appointment now and get $5 discount.Make Appointment